Monday, November 06, 2006

Vagina Monologues comes to Lusaka

On Saturday evening I went to see the Vagina Monologues, which was playing at a hotel in Lusaka. One of my co-workers was kind enough to invite me along. Having seen the show in Kingston (where Alyssa gave a monologue) I knew what the monologues were about and what to expect but I was excited to see the spin that a different group of females would put on the phenomenom which has been shared by women all over the world from Kingston, to Bosnia, to Lusaka, to NYC. This show was put on by two local women and there were local twists, some of which I didn’t understand, and some for the soul purpose of illustrating that it is important here. I’m not a die-hard feminist by any means, and those who know me know I like a good talk about sex every now and again but I can’t really explain what it meant to be sitting in a room with women (and men) from Lusaka and beyond talking about vaginas. If you haven’t seen the monologues before, don’t be afraid- go and see them. They are good for a laugh and for though (regardless of whether you have a vagina or not).
A little thought:
“Why would I want a handgun if I can have a semi-automatic”

No comments: