While Aaron was in Lusaka he was kind enough to take me to Chaminuka Lodge. We arrived Saturday Night (Nov. 18, 2006) and spent the day on Sunday.
For those of you with interest with maps and/or are owners of personal GPS systems the following are the coordinates of the lodge. For those of you who are less geographically inclined, the lodge is appoximately 50km outside Lusaka.

The lodge is all-inclusive so Aaron and I sat on the upper balcony and had a few drinks before dinner, ate a lovely meal, I took a HOT shower (a novelty to me these days), and went to sleep in my ultra comfortable bed.
We got up bright and early and had breakfast at 7h00. I enjoyed scrambled eggs, sausages, and some bacons. And yogurt (just to be healthy). At 7h30 we mounted our horses (Midnight Star and Muchinga) and were off to ride in the game reserve. Aaron was riding midnight star, whom was a bit of a trouble maker (the horse not aaron) and would try to nip at or kick Muchinga (the name is that of a type of fruit here). This was not so ideal but by the end of the ride, I was back in the saddle (pardon the pun) and able to keep control of muchinga much more satisfactorily.
(Please look closely to find the zebras....)Having never been to a game reserve or been on a game ride before I don't have anything to compare this experience to; however, I think that riding may be the best way to see the animals. I mean who wouldn't love to gallop along side the wild animals? Aaron kept wanting to 'play' with the game but our guide Francis didn't think that was such a good idea.

I was amazed at how close I was able to get to the zebras, various species of antelop, guinea fowl, giraffes, water buffalo, etc. The wart hogs were smart little guys and very difficult to sneak up on. Perhaps the have an advanced sense of smell such that even a horse is unable to hide my scent.

Unfortunately, something in the breakfast did not agree with me and I was a bit sick after the ride but I rallied mid-afternoon and was able to sit up on the deck, watch the elephants drinking from the lake, read my book and enjoy the sun. It wasn't quite warm enough to use the pool but I have high hopes for my next visit.
Words to the wise...
1) Horses don't know that you displace more area than you do, ergo when trying to take pictures of the giraffe beware of giant thorns on bushes.
2) Giraffes are spotted for a reason- it is excellent camoflage.
3) When a giraffe moves it appears to be moving in slow motion. Don't take too many pictures, rather enjoy just watching.4) If you haven't riden in >5years beware trotting, galloping and even walking for extended periods of time can cause great discomfort in your legs and may cause you to walk a bit funny for a few days post-ride. When explaining why you are stiff clarify that you were riding a HORSE (as opposed to a cowboy or other such mammal).
No comments:
Post a Comment