Monday, November 27, 2006

Sleeping Beauty Needs to be Revamped for Modern Times.

Saturday Morning I got up and went for a run (on which I got harassed by a truck load full of boys pretending to be men, a situation which further supports my hypothesis that boys are dumb). After my run I made some breakfast and coffee and sat down to watch Sleeping Beauty. It has been many years since I have watched the Disney classic and I will admit that I have some problems with the story line.
The three fairies come to visit the baby princess and each offer her a gift.
The first fairy gives the princess the gift of beauty.
The second gives the gift of song
and the third attempts to thwart the evil witch by altering the curse
I think that given the presence of a curse that the third gift is practical but I am having trouble understanding the first two. Given that a princess will eventually be ruling her kindom (or queendom if you will) would it not be better to give the gift of wisdom, kindness, equity, etc. How will beauty and song impact the kingdom favourably aside from ensuring a marriage for the princess...

No comments: