Monday, November 06, 2006
Kitchen Party
On Saturday afternoon I went to my first Kitchen Party. Best described (in Canadian terms) as a Bridal shower it was an outside party with lots of women, lots of food and lots of drink. Members of the bride and groom’s families as well as friends and co-workers bring gifts to furnish the bride-to-be’s future kitchen. Now, there are many similarities between this party and the Canadian counter part. There are also a few differences. In some respects the Kitchen Party is a cross between a bridal shower (traditionally fairly low key and conservative) and a bachelor-ette party (ah, no description necessary). There were women playing drums and singing and where in Canada the gifts are unwrapped and the bows put on a ridiculous hat for the bride to where, the kitchen party takes a bit of a different angle. There is an MC who keeps the party moving, gifts are unwrapped and as they are unwrapped they are held up and the gift giver comes forward to tell the bride why they choose the gift and how it is suppose to be used…. And they dance! They request a song and dance for the bride, fairly provocative dances with scarves tied around their waists to emphasize the hip movements. I, of course, LOVED it but was feeling a bit shy about my ability to keep up with these women. Unfortunately for me, the MC sought me out and I danced (tamely and shyly) in front of everyone- without my usual vigour. For some reason I was shy in front of all these women; traditionally no women come to kitchen parties to allow women to have the freedom to dance and party how they choose to. Why I felt shy, I’m not sure but I’m going to get me some dance lessons before I leave that is fo’ sure! I am also going to get me some beads… if you want to more you’re gonna have to ask. They are similar to bin-bins but I think far more practical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment