

On Friday December 22nd the UNZA HIV and AIDS Response Programme broke out our dancing shoes and celebrated the season to the best of our abilities. I got nominated to prepare the food so that it would be something special... I don't know if it was special but different than traditional Zambian fair to be sure. There are no Turkeys in Zambia this Christmas (the Government did not allow any to be imported for fear of avian influenza). I had to do most of the preparation on my 2 element cooker- needless to say creativity was in order. I made stuffed chicken breasts (braised and then simmered in stock, mashed potatoes, squash, green beans with dijon mustard and a chocolate cake. The cake was prepared in my co-workers sister's oven. It was set to grill and I

wondered why the top of the cake was burning so quickly BUT you will be happy to know it was edible in the end. While slaving over the stove (which required squatting since it was on the floor) I was told I would certainly make a good wife. hahaha
I forgot the cutlery in the taxi in the morning so we had a little fusion cuisine... Canadian Christmas dinner eatten with our hands.
We turned on the music and did a little dancing. Thanks to my friends in Yellowknife I was able to introduce Lusaka to the "Snowsuit"- the move was a big hit to say the least. And rumour on the street is that "white girl can dance".
Of other note, we also debated the differences in social norms between Zambia and Canada- particulary those surrounding men and women co-habitating and whether or not this can be done in a strictly platonic manner...

No comments:
Post a Comment