I will be completing a 6 month placement/internship with the Centre for International Health (CIH) and the University of Zambia (UNZA). I will be spending most of my time in Lusaka Zambia working at the University of Zambia. I will be functioning as an HIV/AIDS knowledge network officer and will be working with the HIV/AIDS steering committee at UNZA. My job responsibilities are still fairly plastic but it would appear that I will be drawing on past PhysEddie skills to help develop an intramural league- there has been a fair amount of work in Zambia looking at the use of sport and traditional games to help teach HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention. I will also be helping organise World AIDS Day and may even be guest lecturing every now and then. As I know more I will elaborate as to what I'm doing to keep myself busy and out of trouble.
If you don't know me well and/or are still asking why. The answer is simple. I want to pursue a career in global health (in some capacity). This placement is going to give me new skills (managment, policy, etc) and provide more field experience. These are fundamental to me at this point.
Now for all the bureaucracy...
My placement is funded by the International Health Young Professionals Placement Program (YPPP). YPPP assists young Canadian graduates and others interested in international health to obtain overseas work experience and/or contribute as a volunteer to health and development initiatives abroad. YPPP is in turn funded by NetCorp, who is funded by Canada Corps which is a branch of the Canadian Development Agency (CIDA). CIDA is funded by the Canadian govenment. Although NetCorp funds internet and communication technology placements- please don't tell them that I am not and ICT specialist/ I don't know anything about ICT and my job doesn't require or involve anything related to ICT. To learn more about these agencies and their mandates (if you are so inclined) click on the link and explore their websites.
Disclaimer: I am not allowed to represent myself as an agent of any of the above agencies or of the Canadian Federal Government. I'm a lone wolf out on the prowl and my opinions are expressly my own.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment