

I took a weekend trip to Livingstone with my supervisor's daughter Natasha. We headed out of Lusaka on the CR (prounounced Sierre by the Zambians) bus at 9:30 and after a windy bus ride arrived in Livingstone at 4:00 in the afternoon. The bus was just like a greyhound and all and all it was an ok trip. Driving through the hills was actually rather beautiful. Being that its rainy season, everything is lush and beautiful.
Once in Livingstone we made our way to
Fawlty Towers, the backpackers where we stayed. I had had a luxurious hot shower and we were off to see
Victoria Falls! Lucky for me, I camoflaged in as a Zambian resident and paid 2100K to get in rather than the 10USD those pesky tourists pay. And in case your wondering about the currency conversion 2100ZMK is approx 0.59CAD.

On the recommendation of my friend Sarah, Tahsa and I quickly made our way to the (dodging monkeys)
Royal Livingstone Sundeck to watch the sunset over the falls. The mist from the falls looks like smoke rising over the river, with the sun setting in the background the result is

unbelievable. The price we paid for our drinks was also unbelievable but worth every penny. Besides, the Royal Livingstone is pretty push and they even keep the monkeys at bay for their guests using sling shots! We liked it so much that we had to go back on Saturday night as well- and it was a good thing we did because I saw my first hippos (they are giant and make a funny sound) and some zebras. The zebras weren't too exciting though, because it was evident that they were tame and rumping around outside the dining area of the hotel for the benefit of the guests. A bit like a zoo if you ask me.
The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing by the pool, dancing the night away and just havin' a good ol' time.
I definetly plan to go back- Next time I go I see myself in a kayak negotiating the rapids below the falls...
NOTE: I say pesky tourists because I was rather disturbed at the falls when I say some tourists taking photos of "cute" zambian kids by the falls. It really wasn't so much the fact that they were taking pictures but rather the tone in which they were describe the kids. FYI, they are people not monkeys, zebras or hippos.
No comments:
Post a Comment