Why am I working from home, you ask?
Last week the UNZA staff went on a 'go-slow' which means that their are not classes running. This is a particular problem given that the University schedule is already a couple of months behind due to closures last year.
Now, again your thinking why was the school closed last year. The answer to that one is that the students were 'demonstrating' (read rioting) and the police come, it gets ugly and the Ministry closes the university (all the students are forced to leave campus immediately).
It is somewhat of a vicious cycle given the the students are again demonstrating, the police are again coming to 'control the students'. The University may again close.
I totally support the idea of demonstrations, particularly if there is no water on campus or classes aren't being offered. I am not sure that I understand how throwing rocks at random cars passing on the road adjacent the school accomplishes anything. At least target the minister or the VC or someone who might actually have something to do with the problems that you are having.... But hey, what do I know?
I feel bad for the majority of students who don't participate in the demonstrations that have their schooling delayed because of the actions of others.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sarah! So glad to see you're back to the blog. I've missed reading up on your adventures. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost a colleague of yours. Life is certainly a funny thing. Lots of love, xxx
Post a Comment