Monday, February 05, 2007

I'm a footballer

So, my friend Sarah sent me a message on Saturday asking if I wanted to play in a soccer game on Sunday morning and that skill level didn't matter. I said, "Sure, why not?" because really what else am I going to do on a Sunday morning?
I arrived at the Lusaka Italian Club to discover that we were playing on an astro-turf indoor sized field and that the three other girls from my "team" actually knew how to play soccer. We even had a coach. Hmmm.
The other team arrives and they have jersey's with their names, shorts, socks... Hmmm.
I'm thinking, I've never actually played soccer and I tell the other girls and the coach. They explain the rules to me. A few more girls show up to join our team and they are all about my skill level- I start to feel better. The coach says everyone will get to play- I think sure, that's what you say until you see me in action.
Well, we start playing and we get the first goal, and the second, and the third. I get put into play as a defender and to my surprise I actually do a pretty decent job. The pitch is small so I just pretended I was playing a BBALL game. I had a number of steals.
At half time our goalie quit and no one else wanted to play goalie so I volunteered. I did let in one goal but I saved a few to!
Final score: 15 for us and 2 for them.
I felt a bit bad after the game because a group of the japanese girls asked how long I'd been playing and I said "I've never played before"- opps. I didn't mean it to come out like that.
We are going to try to make is a semi-regular thing, and let me tell you it makes running seem far less exciting.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

Your blog-thermometer says it feels like +32 degrees celcius today. Here in Newmarket it is -31 degrees celcius with the windchill.

Are you really wearing trousers and a scarf?